The planning, development and use of space shall be based on the following principles:
1) sustainable development through an integral approach to planning;
2) balanced territorial development;
3) rational use of land by encouraging measures for urban and rural renewal and reconstruction;
4) rational and sustainable use of non-renewable resources and optimal use of renewable resources;
5) protection and sustainable use of natural resources and immovable cultural property;
6) prevention of technical and technological accidents, protection from fire and explosions, protection from natural disasters, elimination of causes of climate change;
7) spatial planning and development for defence purposes;
8) reconciliation with European standards and norms in the area of planning and development of space;
9) promotion and use of information technologies that contribute to improved efficiency and effectiveness of public administration in construction matters;
10) public participation;
11) preservation of customs and traditions;
12) preservation of landscape specificity;
13) horizontal and vertical coordination.
The sustainable development referred to in paragraph 1, item 1) of this Article shall be understood to mean the harmonisation of economic, social and environmental aspects of development, rational use of non-renewable resources and the provision of conditions for greater use of renewable resources, so as to meet the needs of present and future generations and improve their quality of life.
The horizontal coordination referred to in paragraph 1, item 13) of this Article, shall be understood to mean linking with adjacent territories during planning, in order to resolve common functions and interests, as well as the networking and participation of all those involved in spatial development of the public and civil sectors, and citizens.
The vertical coordination referred to in paragraph 1, item 13) of this Article, shall be understood to mean the establishment of links between all levels of spatial and urban planning and the development of space, from the national towards the regional, and on to the local level, as well as providing information, cooperation and coordination between local initiatives, plans and projects with regional and national plans and actions.