This Law regulates organization of metrology activities, legal units of measurement and measurement standards of the Republic of Serbia, placing on the market and use of measuring instruments, assessment of conformity of measuring instruments with prescribed requirements, pre-packaged products, the validity of documents and foreign conformity marks, supervision, and other metrology-related matters.
Purpose Article 2
The purpose of this Law is to ensure:
1) use of measurement units compliant with the International Unit System;
2) unique measurement in the Republic of Serbia and the confidence in the results of measurements applied for protection of consumers, the life and health of humans and animals, environmental protection, general safety and protection of natural resources;
3) traceability of measurement standards of the Republic of Serbia to international standards and national standards of other countries;
4) free trade and prevention of unnecessary barriers to trade;
5) support and development of appropriate metrology infrastructure that provides traceability of measurement results;
6) direction and funding of metrology research and development activities;
7) quick, accurate and easily understandable communication and exchange of information on metrological issues.
Application Article 3
Provisions of this Law governing legal control of measuring instruments are applied to instruments used for measurement in the field of protection of health and general safety, environmental protection, control and safety of traffic, and trade in goods and services.
Provisions of this Law governing conditions for placing measuring instruments on the market, i.e. delivery on the market and use thereof are applied equally to all measuring instruments regardless of their origin.
Provisions of this Law shall apply also to the field of defence, except from planning, organising, implementing and monitoring the metrology activity performed for specific needs of defence, stipulated by the minister competent for the issues of defence.