This Law shall govern the legal position of the public enterprises and other forms of organization, performing activities of general interest, and in particular, the incorporation, operation, managing, property and other issues, significant for the position thereof.
2. Activities of General Interest
The activities of general interest, for the purpose of this Law, shall be the activities which, as such, have been defined by the law in the area of: mining and energy, traffic, electronic communications, publication of the official gazette of the Republic of Serbia and publication of textbooks, nuclear facilities, armament and military equipment, use, management, protection, governance and improvement of the goods of general interest and the goods in general use (waters, roads, forests, navigable rivers, lakes, shores, spas, wild game, protected areas and other), waste management and other areas.
The activities, referred to in paragraph 1 hereof shall also be the utility activities, as well as other activities defined by the law as activities of general interest.
Within the performance of the activities referred to in paragraph 1 hereof, and in the domain of energy, services of general economic interest shall be provided.
3. The Public Enterprise Term and Other Forms of Organization
A public enterprise is an enterprise performing an activity of general interest, and which is founded by the Republic of Serbia, the autonomous province and the local self-government unit (hereinafter referred to as: the public enterprise).
Apart from a public enterprise, the activities of general interest can also be performed by:
1) a limited-liability company and a joint-stock company (hereinafter referred to as: the profit organization), whose sole owner is a public enterprise;
2) a profit organization, whose sole owner is the Republic of Serbia, the autonomous province, the local self-government unit, as well as a subsidiary company solely owned by such a profit organization;
3) other profit organization and entrepreneur, entrusted with the performance of such activities by a competent authority.